MIAMI - I was talking to a friend the other day about mental health issues and she told me about how sad were the circumstances under which the “crazy people” live in any given asylum; she also mentioned her friend’s son which is schizophrenic and another friend which is bipolar. For a minute, everything went fine into the conversation; however, my mind seemed to be heading to a different destination, because all of a sudden, I told her to clarify that I wasn’t referring to those particular mental health issues, which are very serious but not necessarily hidden or common in society, not as much as the ones I was referring to: depression and/or anxiety.
The fact that people in general don’t seem to see depression and/or anxiety as mental health issues is maybe the reason why there is such a large incidence of those issues in society today. And yes, they are mental health conditions that must be addressed as fast as possible and be treated by professionals in the medical field, medical practitioners specifically in that matter of mind issues, be a psychologist, psychiatrist or similar. Please, don’t even think about getting “medical advice” regarding mental health from people not only with no medical expertise in that delicate field but serious lack of any kind of training, much less professional training. I’m talking specifically of religious leaders such as pastors, priests, spiritual coaches and similar, let along charlatans of fairs such as card readers, astrologists or psychics.
It’s very important to understand how serious mental health issues are for our well-being and when I say mental health, I’m referring not only the "big problems" but specifically to those issues that nobody seems to care because their “normal” or “everybody have them” or “give it time to heal”.
People, depression and/or anxiety is serious business and we can’t let them slip into our lives because they can ruin it pretty bad and in the worst-case scenario, they can literally kill us.
RM

No comments:
Post a Comment